Errors made while changing lanes are a common cause of accidents. One must know the basic steps to change lanes whether it is on a highway or a metropolitan city road. Right-hand traffic and left-hand traffic are terms used to refer to regulations that require to keep traffic to the respective side of the road. One must know one’s driving side before one starts on the trip.
Changing lanes in 8 simple steps:
- If you find that you are behind another vehicle that is driving at a lower speed than you are, while you are still below the required or posted speed limit for the highway/road. It is acceptable to briefly change your lane in order to pass the car. Turn on your indicator signal to inform other drivers of your intentions to move into the other lane.
- Check your rearview and side view mirrors for other vehicles currently in the lane in which you are planning to transition.
- Check your vehicle’s blind spot.
- While maintaining your speed, smoothly steer to the changing lane.
- Turn off your indicator signal and continue to drive briefly as you pass the slower vehicle.
- Turn on your indicator signal for the previous lane to inform other drivers of your intentions to transition back into the lane.
- Check your rearview and side view mirrors again for other vehicles currently in the lane in which you are planning to transition. Check your vehicle’s blind spot.
- While maintaining your speed, smoothly steer to your previous lane.
Remember to be patient with other drivers and follow each step mentioned above carefully for a safer drive.