Driving and maneuvering are skills that are easy to acquire. Most people find it difficult to master parallel parking. It is a skill that requires patience and practice. Practice alone with time can gain your confidence and comfort to master parallel parking. There are a few simple steps that one can keep in mind to perfect parallel parking.
- It is essential to determine the dimensions of your car before parking. It will help you select a perfect space to find for parking your car and maneuvering easily to park.
- The second step is to signal the other motorists on the road that you are going to park. Pull alongside the vehicle parked in front of the space, leaving about three feet between your vehicle and the parked vehicle.
- Position your rear bumper so that it is even with the rear bumper of the parked car. This will compensate with for vehicles of different length.
- Pull your car in reverse and turn on the parking lights giving signals to other motorists that you are initiating parking. While looking in the rearview mirrors and over your left shoulder turn your wheel and back slowly. These days often cars are equipped with parking sensors and cameras, one can make use of them and park easily.
- Start to center your wheel slowly while continuing to steer towards the parking space. Check that the front bumper of your car has sufficient space distant from the rear bumper of the car ahead and vice versa for the vehicle parked behind
- Once your vehicle is positioned properly in the space, turn your steering back to the middle, pull the parking brakes and turn off the parking lights. You can then turn your car off and exit your vehicle safely.
Following these steps will ensure you to successfully and safely park your vehicle.