Accidents are unplanned and unexpected road mishaps. There is one death per four minutes due to accidents in India. It is drunken driving which is one of the leading causes of road fatalities. Two wheelers account for 25% of the total road crash deaths. There are 377 deaths every day, which is equivalent to a jumbo jet crashing every day. The state of Uttar Pradesh amounts to the highest number of road mishaps with two people dying every hour.
The road is not a playground. One must be alert in all senses on the road. Although, it might not be your fault that you meet with an accident on the road. It might be the negligence or distraction of another driver on the road. In case of an accident following a few steps may help you through important decisions you need to make on the spot:
- Check yourself for injuries. If you are injured, as someone nearby for help.
- Check on the well-being of your passengers.
- If your car is safe to drive, pull it to the side of the road and turn the hazard lights on. Evacuate the vehicle and get to safety.
- Call the emergency services for help. It may be the nearest police station or the hospital which might come to your help.
- Document the accident by noting down information of the other driver and the vehicle for the police and click pictures of your vehicle and the mishap for the insurance company. Prepare witnesses if there is someone nearby.
- Be patient and calm until the help arrives. One should not panic during such situations.
- Notify the insurer and start the claim process.
Accidents can leave even the most seasoned driver frazzled. One should not hesitate to ask for help if one cannot think or is in a state of shock. But, following these steps may help you from unnecessary worries.