One must make sure you are prepared for the long road trips with a complete and marked checklist before you start. Plan your long trips carefully, listening to radio or television for the latest weather forecasts and road conditions. Always prepare your car as if it will break down. Emergencies can happen to anyone, you may also happen to find someone on the road who might get help from your kit as well. Here is a vehicle safety checklist one must ensure before starting on a long trip:
- Check the tyre quality: Poor tyre maintenance is one of the main causes of accidents on the road. Check the tyre condition and the tyre pressure. Ensuring that you have a fully sized spare tyre can be a life saver in case of an emergency.
- Well-serviced engine: Ensuring that your vehicle is serviced, or having all of the crucial parts of your engine checked before going on a long journey is crucial to safely reaching your destination.
- Standard vehicle equipment: Check on the standard vehicle equipment such as a
- reflective triangle
- a jack
- Flashlight, plus extra batteries
- Jump start kit
- First Aid Kit
- Extra fuel for emergencies
- Tire inflator kit
This is not a definite list. It is only essentials that one must carry in the kit. You should always cater to specific medical needs, seasonal issues, or geographical location. There are also pre-packaged kits available for purchase, but it is always suggestible to prepare your own customized kit. These days everyone carries a cell phone, keep all emergency numbers pre-feed into the phone and a battery charger. These days’ power banks have also become a necessity for road trips.